Thursday 5 May 2011

evaluation question 3- What have you learned from audience feedback


Film feedback:


This was our first piece of feedback and it was from our other media teacher Ms Rolfe. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDPeK6ZgtX4

As someone who enjoys watching films and regularly giving us her own personal feedback on films that she has seen at the cinema, with her husband also being in the film industry we were expecting a thorough piece of feedback. The first thing she commented on was the originality of our title. She mentioned that a previous feature length film is called Closer and that there is also a magazine called Closer. However she goes on to say that she does realise the choice in name and how it links in to our film.

She applauded our use of flashbacks in the opening scene saying how it symbolises his anxiety. She did however say that the lighting was not consistent, especially when it varied a great deal between the light from outside and what we got inside. We had tried in the editing process to reduce this as much as possible, however we couldn't do any great change to the lighting. We also explained that we used fades, which Ms Rolfe wasn't overly keen on. However we explained that they were to suggest changes in the days and that this movie isn't a single day, but instead a collection of events over several days. Also she noticed something that we didn't. Throughout the film we had left a calender up in the kitchen and on the calender there was a dog dressed up as Einstein. This distracted Ms Rolfes attention and potentially could've ruined the whole tone of the film. As she states in the video she believed that using the magnetic letters for a message was a good idea, however she did miss the other message in the leaflets and instead focused on other parts of the shot rather than the message intended. She was not the only one as other people who watched our film didn't immediately notice the message. She concluded her feedback by saying that our final scenes involving the flashback was our best part and that it pulled the film together and that the character of Kate was very good and was used well as she only appeared twice briefly.

Following Mrs Rolfes comments I would have definitely applied her comments to the final production of my film due to her comments being widely agreed on and in hind sight would make our production much better.

After getting feedback from Ms Rolfe I decided to get feedback from someone who attends the cinema very regularly. I asked my 22 media productions student cousin Lauren. She is an avid reader of Empire Magazine and is always interested in the newest films and the British film industry. After showing her the film she spoke highly of her film, with a couple of constructive criticisms. She said that the music used was 'striking', matched the tone of the film and worked with creating the mood from the start. She commented on how the variety of shot sizes, especially in the opening scene were good and helped go along with the irraticness of Lucas' behaviour. Lauren however didn't see the leaflets message first time and only after I showed her the second time did she realise. Also she was slightly confused by the message that Lucas receives. She personally thought that it was too distracting from the plot and could possibly mislead the audience. She praised the use of the single location, saying she personally hasn't seen many films were there was use of just one single location and that she believed it worked well in symbolising Lucas' isolation.


From both of these responses I have learned that for my title I will have to make sure its original. Also will have to try much harder to get the continuity with the lighting spot on and make sure that there aren't any props such as the dog calender in the film as it acts as a distraction.

Feedback for Film review:



Again for my film review I asked my cousin Lauren for her feedback as she is a regular reader of Empire Magazine, which is what I based my article around. She said that the general layout was good and resembled many an article she had read before. She praised my use of the star rating and the quirky comments that go normally on the main image. When it came to reading the actual review she said that it was good, however because Empire doesn't review short films she said that they most probably would have given the film a side of an article instead of a whole page. She also said that I needed to criticise more as films with 3 star ratings don't have one criticism they would have a couple. As a conclusion though she said that I had the general idea and that I have nearly met all the conventions of an film review.

Postcard feedback:


Before I created my final postcard I came up with two ideas that I believed to have been creative and persuading enough to draw my audiences in. I asked a fellow media student Clare which design she preferred and why after I read her the synopsis. She said that she preferred the first as it was very simplistic and believed that the second image gave a lot more away than what it should do. I also asked a avid cinema go-er Jake as to what he thought. He believed that both of the designs were good, however he believed that the first image left more to the imagination and wasn't a stereotypical design for an advertising tool.

























As the first image proved to be more popular I decided to base my final design on that. I decided to follow the conventions of many other postcards that I have seen and stuck to the minimalist approach and just have the vodka bottle and the magnetic letters and get rid of the picture. I then needed to get feedback on my final design. I asked my friend Dom. When I asked him if the postcard would make him go and watch that film he said that because of the minimal imagery it produced a lot of questions and made him curious about the film. He also said that my tag line 'Hes not alone' produced lots of different genres and ideas in his mind about what the film was about.


I believe that the feedback I recieved for the postcard was constructive and allowed me to create a interesting and creative advetisement.














































































































































































































No comments:

Post a Comment